Herminia Ibarra: Mastering career transitions
Are you considering a career transition?
More people are. But it’s not an easy endeavour. It comes with a sense of excitement and fear.
In this episode Herminia Ibarra gives insights into what it takes to transition careers. She discusses why having a grand plan is the wrong move, the importance of developing your own story, and why practice makes perfect. She also explores the signals we can look for to know when we are making the right decisions, as well as what she has learned from her own career changes.
You’ll hear about:
- Why having a grand plan is wrong
- How to find the people you want to become
- How to balance doing and exploring
- Tips to develop your own story
- Signals to look out for when making decisions
- What helps people make wise decisions?
- Radical vs incremental ambitions
- Herminia’s learnings from her career transitions
- What impact does Herminia want to have?
The best bits of these conversations are captured in my newsletter Strategic Leader.
More about Herminia
Herminia is the Charles Handy Professor of Organisational Behaviour at London Business School. Prior to joining LBS, she served on the INSEAD and Harvard Business School faculties.
An authority on leadership and career development, Thinkers 50 ranks Herminia among the top management thinkers in the world. She is a member of the World Economic Forum’s Expert Network, a judge for the Financial Times Business Book of the Year Award, a Fellow of the British Academy, and the 2018 recipient of the Academy of Management’s Scholar-Practitioner Award for her research’s contribution to management practice.
- Herminia’s profile
- Herminia’s books: Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader and Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career
“It’s not just an issue of time, it’s also extricating yourself from a context that defines you.”
Herminia Ibarra, Charles Handy Professor of Organisational Behaviour, LBS
VIEW RUNNING ORDER
|Why having a grand plan is wrong.
|How to find the people you want to become.
|How to balance doing and exploring.
|Tips to develop your own story.
|Signals to look out for when making decisions.
|What helps people make wise decisions?
|Radical vs incremental ambitions.
|Herminia’s learnings from her career transitions.
|What impact does Herminia want to have?