Paul Leinwand and Matt Mani: Rethinking leadership beyond digital
‘Digital transformation’ are big buzzwords in business. But digital initiatives alone are not enough to win in the marketplace — companies need to reimagine the compelling value they will offer and how they will create it in a differentiating way. Two senior partners from Strategy&, former colleagues and friends, set out seven leadership imperatives for transforming companies in the new digital era based on extensive research of 12 companies, including Philips, Microsoft and Adobe:
- Reimagine your company’s place in the world.
- Embrace and create value via ecosystems.
- Build a system of privileged insights with your customers.
- Make your organisation outcome-oriented.
- Invert the focus of your leadership team.
- Reinvent the social contract with your people.
- Disrupt your own leadership approach.
This is a stimulating, immersive discussion leaving you with a new manifesto for leading your organisation. They even say which one of the leadership archetypes they are! I always try to get to the personal side too, as you know.
The best bits of these conversations are captured in my newsletter Flashes+Sparks.
More about Paul and Matt
- Paul Leinwand is a thought leader on strategy, growth and capability building for Strategy&, PwC’s strategy consulting group. He is co-author of four books.
- Mahadeva Matt Mani is an advisor to executives on business model transformation and operating performance improvement for Strategy&, PwC’s strategy consulting business. He is the global leader of PwC and Strategy&’s transformation platform.
- Their book Beyond Digital: How Great Leaders Transform Their Organsation and Shape the Future, Harvard Business Review Press.
“There is really no mechanism to stay relevant and shape your future without really having a connection with your customers.”
Paul Leinwand and Matt Mani, Strategy& partners
VIEW RUNNING ORDER
|04.07||Has ‘digital’ become passé?|
|05.38||Focus on adding value to society.|
|06.43||How to shape the future.|
|08.40||Privileged consumer insights.|
|10.12||Creating an outcomes organisation.|
|12.39||A new social contract at work.|
|14.40||Ecosystems — evolution or revolution?|
|17.00||The hardest leadership roles to master.|
|19.38||Distributing responsibility throughout the organisation.|
|21.47||What it takes for leaders to make bold decisions.|
|24.10||How to shape the future whilst bringing the best of the past.|
|25.57||One message for an emerging leader.|